HFM US sells 5 sepcial-interest magazines to Bonnier Corp.
Archives Lagardère Active
Paris, June 2, 2009
Hachette Filipacchi Media US (HFM US), Lagardère Active’s US subsidiary and Bonnier Corp. announced today that Bonnier Corp. has acquired the following five speciality publications from HFM US: Popular Photography, Flying, Boating, Sound & Vision and American Photo.
This deal is part of a strategic move announced by HFM US a long time ago intended to refocus itself on its core target segments: women’s and automotive magazines. By selling special-interest magazines that to date account for less than 10 % of its print business in the USA, HFM US will free up resources that can be better allocated to rolling out its bi-media strategy (print and digital) in those segments.
“We are pleased that Bonnier Corp. has purchased these enthusiast titles, and we think that these brands will find the support and synergies they need to prosper,” said Alain Lemarchand, President and CEO, Hachette Filipacchi Media U.S.
The transaction, which is effective today, will enable Bonnier Corp to strengthen its leadership position as a leading media company for special-interest brands. This brings to nearly 50 titles Bonnier’s collection of brands, including Popular Science, Saveur, Parenting, Field & Stream as well as some marine publications. This is Bonnier Corp’s third acquisition in recent months in the wake of the buy out in December of Working Mother and Scubing Diving.
“We have always been committed to growing our portfolio of brands to include other passionate special-interest audiences,” says Terry Snow, CEO of Bonnier Corp. “These five titles from Hachette fit very well within our growth strategy of adding brands that serve markets with multimedia opportunities.”
The five titles sold to Bonnier have brand extensions including Web sites, licensing agreements, videos and branded events.
Highlights of the newly acquired brands:
- Popular Photography is the world’s largest photography magazine and the leading technical authority, buyers guide and how-to resource for the photo enthusiast.
- Flying holds a special place in the world of general and business aviation. It has been the voice of aviation since Lindbergh departed Roosevelt Field for his historic nonstop transatlantic flight to Paris in 1927. Its mission is to inform, educate and entertain pilots and would-be pilots.
- Boating, an industry leader for 50 years, delivers an entertaining mix of lively feature stories and in-depth how-to service articles for its 2.32 million readers, the largest audience in the boating category. (source: Spring ‘09 MRI).
- Sound & Vision is the world’s most comprehensive and engaging home entertainment magazine. It offers the freshest editorial content in the category, with each issue bringing readers the latest products and technological breakthroughs in home theater, audio, video and multimedia products.
- American Photo offers a unique visual environment and an authoritative editorial voice that inspire and inform an audience of advanced photography enthusiasts and photo professionals.
PRESS CONTACT :
Valérie Blondeau - + 33 (0)1 41 34 67 16 - firstname.lastname@example.org
Lucie Dugit-Gros - + 33 (0)1 41 34 79 25 - email@example.com
About Bonnier Corp.
Bonnier Corp. (www.bonniercorp.com) is one of the largest consumer-publishing groups in America and is the leading media company serving passionate, highly engaged audiences, through 49 special-interest magazines and related multimedia projects and events. Bonnier Corp. is the U.S. division of the Bonnier Group (www.bonnier.com ), a 200-year-old family-owned media group based in Sweden with business operations in 25 countries.
About Hachette Filipacchi Media U.S. (HFM U.S.)
Hachette Filipacchi Media U.S.’s brands (www.hfmus.com) reach consumers through magazines, online and mobile content, as well as other extensions including books, television, radio and branded events. The company’s editorial hallmark is trusted expert content along with independent product testing. Our prestigious brands fall into four sectors: Fashion (ELLE, ELLEgirl); The Luxury Design Group (ELLE DECOR, Metropolitan Home and PointClickHome); Women & Health (Woman’s Day, Woman’s Day Special Interest Publications); and Automotive and Motorcycling (Car and Driver, Road & Track, Jumpstart Automotive Media and Cycle World). HFM U.S. is part of Lagardère’s (www.lagardere.com ¬) media division Lagardère Active, a producer of special-interest content in more than 40 countries.
To receive institutional press releases from the Lagardère group, please complete the following fields:Register