Created in January 2006 at the time of that year’s World Cup, in less than two years Football.fr has become France’s leading football site (Source: Nielsen Netratings).
A Web 2.0-based football community
For the second consecutive month, Football.fr ranks in first place among football (i.e. soccer) sites in France with 724,000 unique visitors per month (source: Nielsen Netratings – Oct. 2007), registering growth of 238% against 2006. The first football site to launch the user-fuelled BLOG REPORTER concept, Football.fr has since drawn contributions from thousands of active bloggers.
The content produced by bloggers is the ideal complement to the site’s incisive editorial policy, thus offering Internet users a new source of football content entirely devoted to football fans.
All the content – articles, news briefs, photos, videos and more – is supplied by the blogger community.
Drawing on Web 2.0 functionalities, Football.fr also covers more than 28 championships and offers the market’s most complete editorial coverage (L1, L2, National, CFA, foreign championships, African football, national teams, Can 2008, Euro 2008 and so on).
Services completely devoted to football
- Daily newsletter: Every morning, site users receive headlines featuring the latest football news and the best articles by blog reporters in their e-mail boxes.
- Search engine: For optimal navigation and easy news-item searches, Football.fr’s search engine redirects users to both site content and all Football.fr blogs.
- Contests: In partnership with industry leaders, Football.fr regularly offers users games and contests with a wide range of prestigious prizes. Football.fr and the magazine Onze Mondial, for example, recently joined forces on the occasion of the 32nd annual Onze d’Or Awards (the magazine’s European Footballer of the Year, selected by readers) to provide full coverage of this event, involving the best European players and coaches, for the first time on the Internet.
- The VIB – Very Important Blogger – Club: Each month, Football.fr ranks and rewards the most active and noteworthy bloggers via a point system, which is updated daily.
- Online ticket office: Football.fr offers users the chance to purchase a wide range of tickets for League 1, League 2, Equipe de France matches and more.
- Online shop: Users can choose from over 8,000 products in stock, including official jerseys, retro jerseys, balls, football accessories and the like.
- Mobile phone service: For the first time, cell-surfers have free access (except for WAP connection charges) to the latest football news and Football.fr’s best blogs on their cell phones, regardless of their operator.
Football.fr is published by the Newsweb Group. Founded in 1999, the company specializes in the publication and distribution of online content via such sites as sports.fr, sport4fun.com, boursier.com, lejdd.fr and autonews.fr. In December 2006, Newsweb was acquired by the Lagardère Group.