The Lagardère group's Commitments
The Lagardère group must incorporate sustainable development into the production processes of its various businesses and into the day-to-day activities of its subsidiaries, assume the responsibilities that relate specifically to Lagardère’s media activities in which digital technology is leading to fundamental change, and innovate to meet the expectations of stakeholders.
To meet these objectives, Lagardère’s CSR (Corporate Social Responsibility) strategy has four priorities:
- being a responsible employer;
- developing the business while respecting the environment;
- promoting access to information and knowledge;
- being a media group that fosters social cohesion.
For each of these four priorities, Lagardère has made commitments that it is pursuing as part of a continuous improvement approach.
These reflect the Lagardère group's desire to create a dynamic, attractive working environment that empowers, motivates and encourages creativity among its staff:
- ensuring workforce balance and diversity;
- promoting harmonious working conditions;
- encouraging the development of skills.
These commitments relate to the responsibilities that arise specifically from Lagardère’s media activities:
- defending information pluralism and ensuring content diversity;
- facilitating access to content and listening to various audiences;
- supporting the digital transformation of society;
- encouraging dialogue regarding sustainable development;
- making a commitment to promoting culture and sport;
- taking a community-based approach and promoting the emergence of young talent.
These reflect the issues and challenges involved in the Group’s various business activities:
- preserving natural resources, particularly those used to make paper;
- promoting energy efficiency and helping to adjust to climate change;
- fostering employee commitment to environmental issues.
Within each division, the sustainable development strategy is implemented by a sustainable development department, which works closely with the Executive Committee.
At Group level, the Sustainable Development Department – reporting to Thierry Funck-Brentano, Co-Managing Partner of Lagardère SCA – co-ordinates a steering committee in which several Group-wide departments are represented (including Human Resources, Communications, Purchasing, Legal, Risk, Finance, IT and the Jean-Luc Lagardère Foundation).
In 2014, the Lagardère group intends to develop discussion with all of its stakeholders about the concrete CSR issues it faces.
The group's valuesThe Group has clear values that determine its personality. Lagardère's creativity, boldness and independence have helped to create a modern, innovative media group that's in touch with its times.
The group's activities
Lagardère, a world-class diversified media group led by Arnaud Lagardère, operates in around 30 countries and is structured around four distinct, complementary divisions.